Is a Functional Resume Format Right for You?
The functional resume format is not that common, but it is ideal for career histories with long stretches of unemployment or frequent job-hopping. Simply put, this format accentuates specific, relevant capabilities and plays down your chronological work history.
To get the most out of this format, focus on:
- Professional experience (highlighting skills, capabilities, and accomplishments).
- Qualifications summary.
You should consider this format if:
- You have long periods of unemployment.
- You have changed jobs often and are in danger of being classified as “high-risk” by recruiters.
- You are restarting your career after a long break.
- You are changing industry or shifting into a new career.
What Does a Functional Resume FORMAT Actually Look Like? Click here.
So, there is a better solution for job seekers with an inconsistent work history or a tendency to jump from role to role. That does not make it perfect, so keep these things in mind:
- If you have a perfect history, use the reverse-chronological format.
- Keep in mind that recruiters dislike this format. It creates suspicion in recruiters and often, they look for what is wrong with the job seeker, rather than what is right about you.
- This format may not clear the very first gate: The Application Tracking System.
If you are interested in learning more, check out my resume writing course.
STARTING YOUR OWN RESUME WRITING BUSINESS?
Looking to start your own resume writing business? Some of the benefits are as follows:
- In these difficult days, there has never been a better time to start your own business and protect your income and families. Add that second income stream or work solely from home.
- Unlike a conventional business, an online business requires minimal outlay and incurs low overheads.
- Work around your family, your hobbies, and your personal goals to achieve the perfect work/life balance.
- Difficult bosses and office politics begone! You get to make all the decisions including who you work with – and for.
- You will have no shortage of clients – in good times and bad and not many businesses can say that. Your job is to get your name out there.
There are many more benefits I have not mentioned but for me, the ones listed above are the most important. Be warned – it will take considerable time to start making a regular profit. No matter how well prepared you are, you will fail. It depends on you whether you are willing to pick yourself up and start again.
For more information, check out my “Start Your Own Business” page here.
Thanks for visiting my Functional Resume Format page. Return to the homepage for more information or click the link to learn more about how to write a professional resume.