Starting a resume writing business
Starting a resume writing business or any online business has many advantages and in these difficult times we need all the help we can get. If you are about to begin your online journey you can look forward to an exciting yet bumpy ride. But first, let me tell you about my journey in the hopes that you learn from my mistakes and minimise your own bumps in the road.
My bumpy journey
For me starting a resume writing business was born out of necessity. After years as a struggling single parent, I became an expert at making rice, spring onions, garlic and bacon go a long way. Times were hard, despite receiving support from family and friends. That’s when I decided to start my own business working from home. A logical step in my mind, at least. However, I was ill-prepared for the long and arduous journey I was about to take.
I had zero experience as a business owner and zero experience on how to start a business online. But I knew I had to improve our lot in life. What I had was experience in administrative and secretarial roles. I capitalised on those skills, and so began my journey. First, I tried my hand as a Virtual Assistant, but the nature of it did not gel with me.
Not to be deterred, I completed a resume writing course and found it was the perfect fit for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I knew that at the heart of every job seeker was the basic need to support themselves and their families, which resonated with me.
Starting a resume writing business soon after, I began helping hundreds of job seekers achieve their career goals, with many becoming repeat customers. My only downfall was that I could not bring in a steady flow of new clients because of poor online marketing skills. I did not have much money, and what I had I lost in traditional marketing and advertising.
I tried so many things including:
- Free templates and as the old saying goes “you get what you pay for”
- A WIX site–gorgeous but lacking substance
- A WordPress site–more hassle than it’s worth
- Thousands of dollars towards traditional advertising i.e., yellow pages, newspapers, business mags, etc
- Membership in many online directories (some free, some paid for)
- Pay Per Click and Adsense advertising
- Social media networking
- And the most painful of all, I took out a loan to hire a so-called local ‘expert’.
Some of them necessary but all time consuming and some very costly.
What I learnt from all this was:
- You need a website that focuses on building organic traffic in the long-term i.e., SEO/SEM.
- You need to combine several marketing tactics to get your business name out there as much as possible i.e., social media, online memberships, directories, pay-per-click, etc.
- Word of mouth is still important especially if you offer a local service.
- Plan but don’t wait for perfection before you begin–just do it. It will never be perfect. Just remember it is a work in progress and you will make mistakes–lots of them.
If you can find a great web developer/designer that can guarantee results and you are willing to pay for it, that’s up to you. I tried that and got burnt. So that’s when I tried building my own site – again! Thank goodness for SiteSell otherwise known as Solo Build It (SBI).
starting a resume writing business Using SBI!
Don’t get me wrong. Not only will you have to do a lot of work writing content, uploading your own pages etc. but you will have to get your head around everything else that you need to learn to start a business online, i.e. taxes, legalities, insurance – the list goes on. But with SBI all the technical “online” stuff is already built in or, at the very least, available to you. You will be in FULL control of the entire process and the results.
And bonus: it’s so easy on the finances. I have heard from others who advocate that WordPress, Wix, Weebly are much cheaper options. They criticise SBI, saying the price ($29.99USD a month or $299USD per year) is too much. But what they don’t understand is that everything is included with SBI i.e. research, planning, domain name and hosting, metrics, security, excellent support, SEO – and much more. And you can try risk free for 90 days. I reckon it proves to be a very affordable option.
I had to go through a lot of wasted years to get where I am now, so if you are starting a resume writing business, please don’t let that be you. Learn from my experience and save yourself a lot of time, effort, money, and heartache.
To your success,